Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Good Life: Matthew 5:5: “Blessed Are the Meek…”

Do you remember the old comic strip Caspar Milquetoast? Some people think to be meek is to be like Caspar Milquetoast, but Jesus had a different idea.

MATTHEW 5:5: “BLESSED ARE THE MEEK, FOR THEY SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.”

INTRODUCTION

Jesus begins his “Sermon on the Mount” with a series of short sentences describing the people that are most fortunate and most to be congratulated.
“Blessed are the poor in spirit…”
“Blessed are those who mourn…”

In these short sentences he turns the world’s values upside down.

Most people think the people to be most envied are those who are good looking, have loads of friends and admirers, have perfect health, and who can have anything they want.

Today I want to talk about the third beatitude. Matthew 5.5: “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”

“Meekness” isn’t a very popular virtue nowadays. People think of meek people as being wimpy, spiritless, people who don’t stick up for themselves.

Would you consider it a compliment if someone told you: “I admire you because you’re so poor in spirit”? Or if they said, “I wish I could be as mournful as you are”? Or if they called you “meek.”
I would be reminded of the old newspaper comic about Casper Milquetoast. It was called “The Timid Soul.”
Poor Caspar Milquetoast was painfully shy.
He was so timid that if he saw a sign that said “No Loitering” he would walk faster.
One cartoon pictures him looking at his hat that has blown onto a lawn marked “Keep Off The Grass.”
Caspar is standing on the sidewalk a few feet away from his had and scratching his head.
He says to himself: “Oh well, I had to buy a new hat anyway. I might as well get one today.”

But that isn’t what “meek” means in the Bible.
The word has changed its meaning.

I. The original Greek word here translated “meek,” was used in several ways:

Mild words were "meek."
Soothing medicine was called "meek."
Kindly people were called "meek."
And tame animals were called "meek."

In English also people used to use the word “meek” to describe a gentle, obedient animal, a horse, for example that had a good disposition, that was obedient and easy to control.

In our neighborhood as we take our walks we always see one or two neighbors walking their dogs. Most of the dogs aren’t very meek. They are straining this way or that way on the leash. They want to stop and sniff. They bark and snarl and growl. They want to chase something. They want to go faster or slower than their master wishes.
But now and then we see a meek dog that is a true companion of its master or mistress. It walks quietly beside its owner. They enjoy each other’s company.

So the word for “meek” in this verse could maybe be better translated: “humble,” “gentle,” “considerate.”

II. The meek person is gentle. Courtesy and kindness and consideration of others’ feelings is part of meekness.

A. Paul wrote to the Philippians: “Let your gentleness be known to all.”

People may be unpleasant, but we should be as gracious as possible in return.
I have a prayer that ends like this:

“Let Christ be formed in me, and let me learn of him
all lowliness of heart, all gentleness of bearing,
all modesty of speech, all helpfulness of action,
and promptness in the doing of my Father’s will.”
(from John Baillie, Diary of Private Prayer, day 26, evening)

B. One can be gentle and still be strong.

When I was a child I had a subscription to Popular Mechanics. I remember that in every issue there was an advertisement for Hastings Piston rings. Each advertisement featured a tough-looking man—cap pulled down, square jaw, stubble on his chin, and a sweet smile on his face. He was always doing something tender, such as holding a kitty, smelling a flower, feeding a squirrel, or holding a baby. Underneath the picture was the caption: Hastings Piston Rings. Tough, but oh, so gentle!”
I used to be a public school teacher. I noticed that the strongest teachers—the ones who had good control of their classes—were the ones who never raised their voices.

C. I will confess to you that some people in my church irritate me. I think unkind thoughts about them.

But I remind myself that God would not have me think that way. So I go out of my way to be friendly to them and think of ways to pay them compliments.
I am a sinner too. I must grieve God, but he is patient with me.
If someone slights me, I try to remember when someone spoke too highly of me.
It takes constant attentiveness to behave with meekness towards some people.

D. I want to tell you about the gentlest man I know.

He has had a few heart attacks and has fragile health, but God seems to use him when he’s in the hospital more than any other time.
Recently while riding in an ambulance to the hospital be began talking to the nurse—a very professional lady, maybe a little hard.
He told her that he wasn’t afraid if death came soon because he knew Jesus and was sure of eternal life.
As he continued to talk in this way, she visibly softened and tears formed in her eyes.
She said, “I need to do something about that.”
He said, “If you ever need someone to talk to, here’s my phone number.”
His gentleness softened her heart and turned her toward God.

E. Jesus is our great example of meekness.

Jesus said, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
To “bear Christ’s yoke” means be obedient to him, to put our lives under his direction. But he is a kind master. His yoke is easy and his burden is light.
Jesus showed his meekness when he gave himself for our sins. When he was insulted, he didn’t answer back. When was struck, he didn’t defend himself. When he was cursed, he didn’t curse in return. He gave us an example of submission to his Father’s will.

III. Jesus says that the meek will “inherit the earth.”

A. Charlotte and I encourage our children and grandchildren to tell us what they would like to inherit of our possessions. We write them down, so there will be no question.
When our granddaughter comes to visit she says, “Now I want to play my piano.”
Another granddaughter has asked for the workbench, a grandson wants the music CDs, and another granddaughter would like to inherit the Japanese prints.
Maybe you’ve inherited something precious—but nothing like inheriting the earth!

B. The meek aren’t necessarily rewarded in this life.

They may be well-liked because of their goodness, but they don’t usually become leaders in government or industry or on Wall Street.
But they can have the satisfaction of usefulness and knowing that God is their friend.
The meek may not have comfort and ease, but they can have the pleasure pleasing the Savior who bought them.

C. But the real reward of the meek will be in the coming world. In the kingdom that God is preparing for those who love him, the meek will have it all.

CONCLUSION

Someone found in one of the countries of the Bible the ancient grave of a Christian named Atticus. On it was written: “My soul dwells in goodness.”
We know nothing more of Atticus except what is written on his tombstone.
Probably Atticus’s life had not been any more unusual than yours or mine.

He had probably experienced plenty of disappointments and trouble and hard times.
The friend who wrote this epitaph must have loved Atticus and was thinking of Atticus’s blessedness as he had “entered into the joy of your Lord.”
Those words—enter into the joy of your Lord—are the words Jesus used of the faithful servants in the story of the talents.

To inherit the earth is to possess all the goodness of the world to come.
It is to enter into the joy of your Lord.
It is to dwell in goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment